About The Chamber
The objectives of the Peoria Heights Chamber of Commerce are to:
1. To encourage, support, and market businesses within Peoria Heights.
2. To provide a voice for businesses in Peoria Heights.
3. To foster the economic stability of the businesses owned and operated in Peoria Heights.
4. To improve the climate for entrepreneurship and small and growing businesses at the local levels through participation in the public policy making process.
5. To foster leadership by businesses within the Peoria Heights community.
6. To encourage business ownership within Peoria Heights.
7. To promote Peoria Heights as a place to live, visit or shop.
8. To provide a positive climate for individuals who want to do business in Peoria Heights
9. To building the business image to the community.
10. To offer networking opportunities.
11. To promote community activities which benefit the economic growth of the Village, its businesses and citizens.
Though some may think that big cities like New York and Chicago are the only destinations for a good time, quaint villages like Peoria Heights hold their own charm and interest. A fascinating history, gorgeous river views, parks and the village’s many shops and businesses offer plenty to keep one interested and busy. Peoria Heights really is a good place to live and to do business.
Peoria Heights is ensconced between the bustling city of Peoria and acres of untouched forest land. The Village itself only harbors a few thousand residents, but this creates a strong sense of community.
Peoria Heights is family-friendly, offering comfortable and affordable housing, a modern library and an exceptional school district. The elementary school is adjacent to the high school, making it convenient for parents with children of all ages. Peoria Heights also features a number of churches for the spiritually minded.
Peoria Heights has an interesting history that not many may realize. The area was incorporated in 1898, and was originally called Prospect Heights. Another interesting fact that Charles Duryea developed the first gasoline-powered automobile here.
One of the first amusement parks in the Midwest to boast Ferris wheels and roller coasters opened in Peoria Heights in 1906. The Al Fresco Amusement Park was located on the Illinois River and attracted nearly 10,000 visitors a day.
One of the best things about Peoria Heights is its beautiful landscape. Grandview Drive is a long, winding road perched at the top of the Illinois River Valley. President Theodore Roosevelt declare it the world’s most beautiful drive when he visited the area in 1910.
Tower Park offers an observation tower which enables natives and visitors alike to view the breathtaking valley. Peoria Heights also contains several other parks and lush forests. Forest Park Nature Center has over seven miles of hiking trails, many of which were originally Native American trails.
Another important facet of the Village is its Central Business District, which hosts over 75 eclectic, independently owned businesses and restaurants. You will enjoy the shopping while finding things not available at a traditional mall. Then, take time to relax over the some of the best foods the area has to offer. Restaurants are located throughout the Heights and offer breakfast, bistro fare, and fine dining.
The Village has an estimated population of 8500 and covers an area approximately 2.5 square miles with an assessed valuation of approximately $30 million dollars. The Village is governed by a Board of Trustees which meets twice a month on the first and third Tuesday to discuss and decide on policy matters of concern to the whole community. The Trustees are held accountable by the general public for the welfare of the Village with elections staggered every two years for half of the Trustees. Village services include police, fire, volunteer ambulance service, water supply and distribution, garbage collection and street and alley maintenance.
Every fact of Peoria Heights makes it a great place to live, work and visit. Its parks, schools, shops and history all combine to create an air of friendliness, cooperation and community. The residents of Peoria Heights are proud of their Village, and visitors shouldn’t hesitate to stop by and see what it’s all about.